STRAIGHT TALK ABOUT HEARING AIDS
- They are imperfect, but they have come a long way. Hearing aids are now discrete, rechargeable, bluetooth compatible and water resistant!
- They are only as good as the programming so make sure the professional fitting them has experience with prescriptive hearing aid fittings including the use of real ear measures. Real ear measures are a must when setting hearing aid prescriptions, yet studies show that only 30% of clinics are performing these tests routinely.
- They are not corrective, like glasses. They will not restore normal hearing, but if programmed correctly, you will hear significantly better when you wear your aids.
- A one-size–fits-all solution (mail order) is not as good as a prescriptive hearing aids for most patients.
- The more you wear your hearing aids the more you will like your hearing aids. It takes time for the brain to adjust.
- Been wearing aids and still not happy with them? A second opinion regarding the programming may help. Or sometimes the hearing aids alone are not enough to help in difficult listening situations. Consider an accessory for your hearing aid to improve hearing TV, phone or in a restaurant.